GoFundMe pick up the bill for homeless man's missing $560,000

Adjust Comment Print

Hours after authorities hauled away a New Jersey couple's BMW allegedly bought with donations that were supposed to help a homeless veteran get off the street, the online fundraising company GoFundMe announced that there would be a six-figure happy ending for Johnny Bobbitt.

Aspiring philanthropists Kate McClure and Mark D'Amico are in hot water after the $400,000 they raised in a GoFundMe campaign for a homeless man went missing.

NBC reports that a spokesperson for GoFundMe stated that Bobbitt will get his entire $400,000 even if his attorneys can not recover it all from a couple accused of taking the donation money and spending it on lavish vacations and other items.

CBS Philadelphia reported that on Thursday, officials from the Burlington County Prosecutor's Office and Florence Township Police Department executed a search warrant at the couple's home.

A judge presiding over Bobbitt's lawsuit ordered the couple to give sworn statements Monday on the status of all the money raised, as well as to turn over documents. But suddenly, she had a new BMW, and the couple were taking vacations to Florida, California and Las Vegas, Bobbitt told the Inquirer.

All the money has been spent, their attorney said, adding that the couple meant to invoke their rights against incriminating themselves in the lawsuit.

The allegations were used as a basis for obtaining the search warrant, which generally requires a lesser standard of proof than an arrest warrant. No criminal charges have been filed at this point.

The couple started a GoFundMe campaign last November after Bobbitt gave them his last $20 for gas when their vehicle broke down on I-95 in New Jersey.

Attorney Chris Fallon, appears in a New Jersey court on behalf of Johnny Bobbitt last month. But Bobbitt became homeless again after D'Amico told him in June that he had to leave the property.

Meantime, Bobby Whithorne, director of North America Communications for GoFundMe, said that Bobbitt will receive the funds.

Hollywood Gushes over Obama's Trump Trashing Speech: 'I Love Him'
Trump also claimed, as he has in the past, that economic indicators were bad under Obama but excellent during his own presidency. While Obama has in the past blasted Trump and his policies , this was the first speech in which he used his successor's name.

According to Philadelphia's WTXF-TV, Bobbitt is in a 30-day treatment program.

McClure, 28, and D'Amico, 39, were at home Thursday during the early-morning search.

"Until we have a forensic accountant go through it, I can't say that they spent his money".

A judge ordered the couple to wire remaining money into a trust set up for Bobbitt, and the judge will determine how the money will be managed. The campaign was established to aid the homeless man whose story of helping a stranded motorist in Philadelphia inspired thousands of people to contribute. But McClure and D'Amico have since reportedly told attorneys that all the funds are gone.

"With the money, I would like to get him first and last month's rent at an apartment, a reliable vehicle, and four-to-six months' worth of expenses", she wrote on the GoFundMe page during the campaign.

Whithorne said that not only will Bobbitt receive the balance of the funds, but the company is making it easier for donors in the Bobbitt campaign to get their money back.

But the couple only handed over about $75,000, according to Bobbitt's lawyer. D'Amico told the newspaper that he had indeed used $500 from the bank account to gamble on a night when he forgot his Sugarhouse Casino card but had "quickly repaid" the money with his winnings.

Initially, GoFundMe gave Bobbitt $20,000 so that he wasn't penniless while the details of the case were emerging.

GoFundMe said it gave $20,000 to an account set up by his attorney to help him during the investigation.

Comments