Ohio State coach Urban Meyer suspended for three games

Adjust Comment Print

For one night, Urban Meyer needed to speak like a human being - a human being with actual sympathy and regrets.

Ohio State suspended coach Urban Meyer for three games after almost 12 hours of deliberation at the board of trustees meeting Wednesday, but the board did not fire Meyer, nor give him a lengthier suspension.

It's ridiculous that Ohio State's investigation concluded Meyer and athletics director Gene Smith failed to properly manage Zach Smith's misconduct, but then claimed neither Meyer nor Smith condoned or covered up the alleged actions by the former wide receivers coach. The report also said Shelley did not speak to.

Meyer initially stated said he was not aware of any domestic issues between Smith and his wife, Courtney, during the time Smith was a coach at Ohio State. In a subsequent review of Meyer's phone, the investigators were unable to recover text messages older than one year.

Ohio State announced Wednesday it's suspending Meyer three games without pay and a banning him from interacting with his team until September 2 for mishandling Courtney Smith's allegations. Some disproven allegations came about that Herman was linked to Zach Smith's ex-wife Courtney Smith with past financial dealings.

And somehow that was not enough to jar Meyer - to get him to stop thinking about the zone read and start thinking about how he could help Courtney Smith. According to ESPN, Meyer will continue to be on paid leave until Sep.

Ohio State trustees have begun discussing the future of football coach Urban Meyer. For the past six years, I've worked diligently to build a program that the great state of Ohio and Ohio State can be very proud of.

"I just think they were a little light on him".

Drake surprises 11-year-old heart surgery patient in Chicago
Drake posted a video to Instagram of the visit, revealing that the pair chatted all things "Beiber and Owls and Basketball ". She's a huge fan of Drake and posted a video of herself doing the "Kiki Challenge", hoping the rapper would see.

White said the compliance department would have been in the best position to assess whether to conduct an internal investigation. The case was dropped by police when the woman chose not to pursue charges, but Hyde was suspended three games. One week earlier, the school newspaper, The Lantern, had requested under public-records law access to emails, texts and other materials related to Zach Smith for periods of 2015 and 2018. As reporters staked out Urban Meyer's auto in the loading dock, the assistant director of football operations could be heard over a loudspeaker directing practice.

"I should have been aware of it", Meyer said.

The board is meeting with university President Michael V. Drake to consider whether Meyer should be punished for his handling of domestic abuse allegations against a former assistant coach that were raised by the assistant coach's now ex-wife.

Courtney Smith alleged her husband shoved her against a wall and put his hands around her neck in 2015. "I was anxious it was going to be no suspension and just time served, which would have been really ridiculous, but three games just doesn't seem like enough to me".

Ohio State has suspended Meyer through Sept. 2 and for the first three games of the season, which are set for Sept. 1 vs. Oregon State, Sept. 8 vs. Rutgers, and Sept. 15 vs. TCU. The lawsuits alleging sexual abuse by Dr. Richard Strauss say Ohio State facilitated the abuse by ignoring complaints. For many, the domestic violence accusations became secondary because questionable judgment was unearthed in other areas.

At a news conference late last month, Meyer acknowledged awareness of the 2009 arrest, and said he had been told the initial allegation by Courtney Smith wasn't accurate, and that he and his wife had spoken with the Smiths and helped arrange counseling for the couple.

Some had called for Meyer to be fired after McMurphy's intial report.

In June, 2016, Meyer had Zach Smith attend drug rehab for addiction to a stimulant prescription drug used to treat ADHD.

Comments