Sushi lover pulled 5-foot tapeworm from intestines

Adjust Comment Print

Banh and the patient were initially confounded over how the tapeworm ended up in the man's body.

Dr. Kenny Bahn said he treated the man when he came into the ER with bloody diarrhea, and was at first skeptical that the man actually had a tapeworm.

He said the patient reported to the emergency room complaining of bloody diarrhea.

Banh says the man admitted to eating sushi every day, particularly salmon sashimi.

A 2017 study published by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that wild salmon caught in Alaska could be infected with Japanese broad tapeworm - a parasite previously believed to only infect fish in Asia.

Dr. Banh shared his experience treating the man on a recent episode of the podcast "This Won't Hurt A Bit".

Where the tapeworm originated from was the following inquiry, and the man said he hadn't voyage or had any flawed drinking water that he could consider.

Auto sculpted out of snow is realistic enough to fool the police
Laprise tells Buzzfeed Canada: "I did the auto to have fun expressing my creativity on that attractive day", he said. All good things must come to an end, however, and snowplows destroyed Laprise's creation the next morning.

Dr. William Schaffner, professor at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, said that the Japanese tapeworm is from the same family of other tapeworms, presenting similar symptoms of abdominal discomfort, nausea, loose stools and weight loss, among others.

According to Bahn, the man felt the worm "wiggling out" as he sat on the toilet.

Clearly, the sushi lover in question is nothing if not a quick thinker, and so it may not surprise you to learn that he also kept the tapeworm, so he could take it to the hospital.And what happened after that? "He then picks the thing up, 'looks at it, and what does it do?"

He then extracted the whole worm, wrapping it around the center of a toiler roll, and went to the Fresno County Medical Center, where Bahn was on duty at the ER. " 'Oh, my goodness, my guts are coming out of me!' " Banh recalled.

Banh said he "geeked out" about the worm, the largest he had ever seen from a patient, and showed it to about 40 people in the hospital. When Banh laid it out on the floor of the emergency department, he said, it measured five feet, six inches long.

Proper flash-freezing of the fish will kill the parasites, but the patient was not inclined to risk it. It's a type of worm that can grow up to 30 feet long, the CDC says.

The CDC states that humans get Diphyllobothrium most often by eating uncooked or undercooked fish, such as salmon, that is infected with tapeworm larvae.

Comments