Officials deny permits for commemorating violent Charlottesville rally

Adjust Comment Print

Kessler, who organized the original "Unite the Right" white nationalist rally at the park in August, submitted the request in late November, saying the event's objective was to "rally against government civil rights abuse and failure to follow security plans".

Permits sought by one of his associates for events in Charlottesville's McGuffey and Justice parks were also denied on Monday.

In his application, Kessler described the event goal as a "rally against government civil rights abuse and failure to follow security plans for political dissidents".

In an email obtained by the Daily Progress, city spokeswoman Miriam Dickler said the authorities are refusing five different applications for events in and around Emancipation Park, where counter-protesters confronted white nationalists on August 12.

"The proposed demonstration or special event presents a danger to public safety and it can not be accommodated within a reasonable allocation of city funds and/or police resources", the notices read. "BUT WE WON'T BE STOPPED", Kessler wrote on Twitter.

Women who accuse Trump of sexual misconduct call for Capitol Hill investigation
Holvey, a former contestent on Miss USA, said that Trump leered at the contestents and entered the womens' dressing room. The president rejected such allegations a year ago and vowed to sue the accusers , though no lawsuit has yet been filed.

"The decision is bogus and should be reversed in court, "Kessler said in a statement for NBC29".

A large contingent of counter protestors, some violent and some peaceful, surrounded Emancipation Park on August 12, with approximately 2,500 people filling the streets of downtown Charlottesville that day.

On Monday, the city said Kessler's application for a rally next year "likely underestimates the number of participants" and declared that the city does not have the police resources to identify opposing groups and keep them separated.

As the crowds dispersed, counter-protesters celebrated in the streets.

On Thursday, 20-year-old James Alex Fields is due in a Charlottesville courtroom for a hearing. Proposed changes include a list of prohibited items, a permit requirement for events with 10 or more people and that the city manager can move an event, among others. Earlier this month an independent report found police failed to provide enough protection during the rally.

Comments