UF Denies Request For Speaking Event

Adjust Comment Print

The National Policy Institute, a white supremacist think tank headquartered in Alexandra, Virginia, is led by Spencer himself, who serves as its president.

MSU President Lou Anna Simon released a statement confirming the rental request and acknowledging the role the university has in free speech. Regardless of how the university decides to move forward, Florida has zero tolerance for violence of any kind.

The university cited safety concerns after the deadly Charlottesville, Virginia, attack that left a woman dead, according to The Associated Press.

Spencer was scheduled to make an appearance at next month's rally.

For many in our community, including myself, this speaker's presence would be deeply disturbing.

"I can't say for the last 100 years, but we're not aware of ever doing this in recent history". I again denounce all statements and symbols of hate.

The University of Florida has no obligation to grant Spencer's every wish. "So we will not be intimidated, nor stoop to reciprocate hate".

First Coast News wasn't able to reach the University of Florida for comment as they do not have media personnel available on the weekend. School officials at first told the student newspaper they did not endorse the event in any capacity but would let it happen.

Peaceful Solution to Venezuela Crisis Possible: Pence
Venezuela's Ministry of Communication and Information said Sunday that it could not respond to media queries until today. Pence's trip was also meant to reinforce regional opposition to Maduro's government.

Spencer proudly advocates for the formation of an all-white "ethnostate", and his National Policy Institute says it's "dedicated to the heritage, identity, and future of people of European descent in the United States, and around the world".

He blamed the violence on inadequate police protection and counter-demonstrators and said he doubts white nationalists will be deterred from attending more such demonstrations. I had to come here where we are totally secure.

First Amendment lawyer Tom Julin of Miami said UF could face a tough day in court.

In an email to students Wednesday morning, UF President W. Kent Fuchs said the administration has denied Spencer's campus speaking request for September 12, citing major safety concerns.

"Once you hold the availability of government property for speech, you can't pick and choose the speakers you like", LoMonte said in a telephone interview Monday. He told Spencer that even though he'd defend others' right to bring Spencer to campus if such a situation arose, it wouldn't be him that lends any kind of welcoming hand to the "Hail Trump"-ing racial separatist".

"They get a rise out of people from other ethnicities, from other colors, it doesn't matter whether the other person is male or female, young or old, they love to get a rise out of people, because now it's very sensitive to talk about white supremacy and neo-Nazis".

Asked about his use of the building, he said: "I can live here part time, yes".

The events were cancelled after social media users asked others to call the hotels and urge them not to give space to Mr Spencer.

Comments